Promote and practice close-to-nature forest management esp. in the Cavan/Leitrim area.
- Environmental Services
Jan Alexander's Overview
- Self Employed Forest Manager. Farmer and Animal Care. Writer. at Jan Alexander & Associates
- Founding Director at Crann (NGO promoting broadleaved trees)
- I left school as soon as legally allowed and continue to pursue my forestry education in the forest.
Jan Alexander's Summary
My main interests are in forests and animals. I want to inspire people to love and care for them a whole lot more.
Jan Alexander's Experience
Self Employed Forest Manager. Farmer and Animal Care. Writer.
Jan Alexander & Associates
October 2000 – Present (12 years 9 months) Lakefield, Bawnboy, County Cavan
* Managing broadleaved woodlands
* Close-to-nature management to transform single species conifers to multi-structured, multi-species forests
* Forest establishment using close-to-nature principles
* Advice to farmers\forest owners/land owners on close-to-nature forest establishment and management.
* Current Committee member of Pro Silva Ireland
* Writing about forestry on blog: www.localforestlog.ie
* Manage my own 26 acre farm. We keep pet cattle and have some mixed young forestry.
* Currently working on a writing project about our cattle herd.
Crann (NGO promoting broadleaved trees)
June 1986 – September 1993 (7 years 4 months)
Founder of the tree organization Crann in 1986 to promote broadleaved trees as amenity and commercial species.
Travelled throughout Ireland giving illustrated talks to community groups and schools, etc., collecting tree seeds and planting trees from 1984 until early 1990's. Liaised with other forestry and tree-based organizations in Ireland and abroad. Wrote articles for Crann newsletter and other publications.
Jan Alexander's Skills & Expertise
Jan Alexander's Education
I left school as soon as legally allowed and continue to pursue my forestry education in the forest.
nil, Nature and natural systems, especially pertaining to forestry.
1972 – 2009
I was educated at Toorak College in the State of Victoria, Australia and left that school at the earliest possible opportunity. I moved from the small seaside area where I grew up to Melbourne at age 16 and took up various positions, at first in a publishing house and then with marine suppliers doing basic reception and office duties. City life, however, didn't suit me. I moved out to the country, to inland Victoria and worked in a garden centre at the edge of a small town. I traveled across the world when I was 25 and came to Ireland, where I have lived ever since. I was struck by the treelessness of the Irish countryside and began researching why this was so. That is when my true study of forestry began.
Activities and Societies: Crann; The Organic Centre; Pro Silva Ireland.
Jan Alexander's Additional Information
forestry, close-to-nature forestry, local timber economies,
- Groups and Associations:
Pro Silva Ireland, The Organic Centre, TDA
- Honors and Awards:
Nominated Green Leader Award 2008
RDS Special Merit Forestry Award 2009
Contact Jan for:
- career opportunities
- consulting offers
- job inquiries
- expertise requests
- business deals
- reference requests
- getting back in touch
View Jan Alexander’s full profile to...
- See who you and Jan Alexander know in common
- Get introduced to Jan Alexander
- Contact Jan Alexander directly